HTRS Fellows Network
Who Should Join?
- Fellows, Trainees, Residents, and Medical or PhD Students interested in hemostasis and thrombosis
- Must be an HTRS Trainee or Student Member (Medical or PhD Student) to join the Fellows Network:
- Join HTRS
Trainees receive complimentary HTRS and Fellows Network membership for the course of their fellowship program. The Fellows Network meets at major hematology conferences (ASH, HTRS, and THSNA) for social and professional networking. Members receive quarterly newsletters and emails, and can visit a special section of the HTRS website containing info regarding grants, training and other opportunities!
For Spring 2019 Newsletter, please CLICK HERE
For Fall 2019 Newsletter, please CLICK HERE
For Spring 2020 Newsletter, please CLICK HERE
For Summer/Fall 2020 Newsletter, please CLICK HERE
For Winter 2020/2021 Newsletter, please CLICK HERE
For Spring 2021 Newsletter, please CLICK HERE
- Establish and enhance communication among fellows/trainees interested in careers in hemostasis and thrombosis
- Establish a network of peers to provide support and advice
- Provide information and resources to encourage and assist fellows to pursue a successful career in hemostasis and thrombosis
- Provide access to the expertise of established physicians and researchers working in hemostasis and thrombosis
- Collaborate with ConECCTOR (the HTRS Junior Faculty Network) and HTRS members to develop and retain physician investigators in hemostasis and thrombosis
New Webinar Series focuses on Career Development
#4: "First Job Negotiations" - Wednesday, September 15, 2021
Our fourth Fellows Network Career Development Webinar revisited this important topic: "First Job Negotiations" from 6:00 to 7:00 PM ET on September 15, 2021
During the webinar, faculty panelists shared their first-hand experiences, followed by live Q&A:
- Anna Parks, MD, University of Utah, Fellows Network Chair Elect
- Cecelia Calhoun, MD, Yale University
- Sherwin DeSouza, MD, Cleveland Clinic Foundation/Taussig Cancer Institute, Fellows Network Council Member
- George Goshua, MD, Yale University, Fellows Network Council Member
- Hana Lim, MD, MS, Weill Cornell Medicine, Fellows Network Council Member
2020/2021 Sponsor of the HTRS Fellows and ConECCTOR Networks
#3: "Negotiating Your First Job" - Tuesday, March 30, 2021
Please join us for our third virtual Fellows Network Career Development Webinar on Tuesday, March 30, 2021. We are combining this Webinar with our spring ConECCTOR Meeting. All Fellows Network and ConECCTOR/Junior Faculty Network members are invited!
During the Webinar, four faculty panelists will discuss their perspective on the topic:
- Sven Olson, MD, Assistant Professor of Medicine, Oregon Health & Science University
- Glaivy Batsuli, MD, Assistant Professor, Emory School of Medicine/Aflac Cancer and Blood Disorders Center
- Ang Li, MD, MS, Assistant Professor, Baylor College of Medicine
- Emily Ayers, MD, Assistant Professor, University of Virginia Health
The agenda follows:
4:30 PM ET: Fellows Network Career Development Webinar entitled, "Negotiating Your First Job" (1 hour)
5:30 PM ET: Mentor Match Program Networking Opportunity (30 minutes)
HTRS Mentor Match Program participants who have already established a match may reserve a virtual breakout table at this time by emailing [email protected].
For more info on the Mentor Match Program, CLICK HERE
6:00 PM ET (1.5 hours) - ConECCTOR Meeting
Nigel S. Key, MD: "Managing the K-to-R transition: What to do if you don't get a K-Award"
Robert F. Sidonio, MD: "Oral Presentations 101"
Leslie J. Raffini, MD: "Building a Mentorship Team"
For Full Agenda, CLICK HERE
To RSVP to all of these opportunities, including the chance to reserve a virtual table with your official Mentor Match, CLICK HERE
We look forward to hearing about these new partnerships and forwarding our mission as a society to encourage active mentoring across all career levels. Thank you!
Jennifer Yui, MD, MS, HTRS Fellows Network Chair
Assistant Professor of Medicine
Johns Hopkins Medicine
Lauren Amos, MD, HTRS ConECCTOR Network Co-Chair
Assistant Professor of Pediatrics, Division of Hematology/Oncology/BMT, Children's Mercy Kansas City
Hope Pritchett Wilson, MD, HTRS ConECCTOR Network Co-Chair
Assistant Professor, Division of Pediatric Hematology & Oncology, University of Alabama at Birmingham
INTRODUCING: Our New Mentor Match Program!
To forward our mentorship mission, we have formed a new partnership between the HTRS Fellows and ConECCTOR (junior faculty) Networks: the Mentor Match Program. You now have an excellent opportunity to mentor and/or be mentored at an important time in your career development. Thanks to 30-plus HTRS members who already have answered the call, we are up and running.
For a list of potential MENTORS, MENTEES, and their specialties, please email [email protected]. If you would like to take part but have not yet let us know, please send an email with your name, institution, preferred email address, preferred mentorship (see below), along with your area of specialty, and we'll add you to the list!.
Three types of mentorship opportunities:
On the lists of mentors and mentees (see links above), please review and identify someone with your similar mentorship availability/needs/specialty:
LIMITED INTERACTION: email contact with ConECCTOR members for brief questions
ONGOING MENTORSHIP: Specific details TBD by mentor/mentee (1 hour/month suggested, setting goals/milestones throughout the year)
ONE-TIME INTERACTION: "Speed-mentoring event" at a future conference (in-person/virtual)
When you reach out, please take into account the kind of mentorship you’re both seeking. Once you have established a mutually agreed-upon partnership/mentorship, email [email protected] to let us know to make it official!
Still want to take part but didn’t sign up yet? Please add your info to the following GOOGLE FORMS:
Virtual Grant Review Workshop - May 2021
We invite ConECCTOR and Fellows Network members to participate in our upcoming HTRS ConECCTOR Grant Review Workshop to be held virtually on Tuesday, May 18th, 2021 from 9:00 to 10:30 AM CT.
Deadline for submissions is Friday, April 30, 2021. For an application form, CLICK HERE or email [email protected].
Accepted applications will be discussed in a small-group virtual meeting with the participant(s) and the following HTRS-member faculty:
- Margaret Ragni, MD, MPH, Director, Hemophilia Center of Western PA, Professor of Medicine and Clinical Translational Science, University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine
- Courtney Thornburg, MD, Professor, Medical Director/Division of Pediatric Hematology/Oncology, Rady Children's Hospital, University of San Diego
Participants will receive direct feedback for potential improvements to their projects/applications and will have the potential for ongoing discussions with colleagues and mentors. (*Due to conflicts of interest, we cannot accept applicaitons for HTRS MRA or ATHN/DREAM Awards.)
Please submit grant-specific application materials and/or a description of the project and career goals to [email protected] . Materials will be reviewed by faculty in advance and discussed in the two-hour session on May 18, 2021.
#2: "Mentor/Mentee Relationships & Graceful Self-Promotion" - October 13, 2020
Thanks to all who attended the second in our new HTRS Fellows Network Webinar Series focusing on Career Development, which took place via Zoom on October 13, 2020.
Two faculty panelists discussed their perspective:
- Kristen Sanfilippo, MD, MPHS, Assistant Professor, Internal Medicine/Hematology, Washington University St. Louis
- Ariela Marshall, MD, Associate Professor of Medicine, Division of Hematology, Mayo Clinic
Watch for the next FN Career Development Webinar on Negotiations next January or February 2021. For more info, email jzieg[email protected].
#1: "Applying for a Faculty Job" - August 25, 2020
Thanks to all who attended the successful launch of our new HTRS Fellows Network Webinar Series focusing on Career Development, which took place via Zoom on August 25, 2020. Attendees, please watch for a survey to come soon with links to contact info for the presenting faculty.
Four faculty panelists discussed their experiences navigating the process of applying for a faculty job in the last year:
- Jori May, MD, Assistant Professor of Medicine, University of Alabama at Birmingham
- Sven Olson, MD, Assistant Professor of Medicine, Section of Classical Hematology, Oregon Health & Science University
- Michael H. White, MD, MSc, Assistant Professor in Pediatric Hematology/Oncology, Aflac Cancer and Blood Disorders Center, Children’s Healthcare of Atlanta
- Megan Brown MD, MSc, Senior Associate in Pediatric Hematology/Oncology, Aflac Cancer and Blood Disorders Center, Children’s Healthcare of Atlanta
For key tips shared during the Webinar, CLICK HERE
For Fellows Network Chair Jennifer Yui's slide presentation, CLICK HERE
Watch for the next FN Career Development Webinar on Mentor/Mentee Relationships on Tuesday, October 13th at 6:00 PM CT. To register and receive the Zoom link, email [email protected] by Friday, October 9, 2020.
Fellows Network Chair and Chair Elect
Jennifer Yui, MD, Chair
University of Pennsylvania
Anna Parks, MD, Chair Elect
University of California, San Francisco
Fellows Network Council Members
Sherwin DeSouza, MD
Cleveland Clinic Foundation, Taussig Cancer Center
Harry Fuentes Bayne, MD
Rudi-Ann Graham, MD
George Goshua, MD
Hana Lim, MD
Weill Cornell Medicine