HTRS Fellows Network Newsletters
Fellows Network Webinar Series focuses on Career Development
#6: "How to Advance Your Career in a Virtual Setting" - Thursday, May 12, 2022 at 2:30 - 3:30 PM CT
Our sixth Fellows Network Career Development Webinar will address how to advance your career in a virtual setting, hosted virtually on the Hubilo platform. HTRS member panelists (TBD) will discuss this important topic, followed by live Q&A with attendees. A Virtual Networking opportunity will follow, as will a virtual ConECCTOR Network Meeting:
- 2:30 - 3:30 pm CT Fellows Network Webinar
- 3:30 - 4:00 pm CT Virtual Networking
Please watch for recording of this webinar to come!
#5: "Navigating a National Meeting" - Thursday, December 2, 2021 at 4:00 PM CT
Our fifth Fellows Network Career Development Webinar will address tips for trainees attending national meetings such as ASH early in their careers, and will be hosted virtually. These HTRS-member panelists will discuss their vast array of experiences navigating a national meeting, followed by a live Q&A:
- Bethany Samuelson Bannow, MD, Assistant Professor of Medicine, Oregon Health & Science University
- George Goshua, MD, 3rd Year Hematology Fellow, Yale University School of Medicine
- Jordan Shavit, MD, PhD, Associate Professor of Pediatrics, Hemostasis/Thrombosis, C.S. Mott Children's Hospital, University of Michigan Medical School
- Alisa Wolberg, PhD, Professor, Department of Pathology and Laboratory Medicine, University of North Carolina School of Medicine
To register, CLICK HERE
2020/2021 Sponsor of the HTRS Fellows and ConECCTOR Networks
HTRS Pre-ASH Grant Review Workshops
We invite ConECCTOR and Fellows Network members to let us know if they're interested in assistance with grant writing. If so, please email Jennifer Ziegler, Director, Award Programs and Career Development, at [email protected].
You will receive direct feedback for potential improvements to your projects/applications and will have the potential for ongoing discussions with colleagues and mentors. (*Due to conflicts of interest, we cannot accept applications for HTRS MRA or ATHN/DREAM Awards.)
Please submit grant-specific application materials and/or a description of the project and career goals to [email protected]. Materials will be reviewed by faculty in advance and discussed in a 60-minute session.
Our Mentor Match Program!
To forward our mentorship mission, we have formed a partnership between the HTRS Fellows and ConECCTOR (junior faculty) Networks: the Mentor Match Program. You now have an excellent opportunity to mentor and/or be mentored at an important time in your career development. Thanks to 30-plus HTRS members who already have answered the call, we are up and running.
For a list of potential MENTORS, MENTEES, and their specialties, please email [email protected]. If you would like to take part but have not yet let us know, please send an email with your name, institution, preferred email address, preferred mentorship (see below), along with your area of specialty, and we'll add you to the list!
Three types of mentorship opportunities:
On the lists of mentors and mentees (see links above), please review and identify someone with your similar mentorship availability/needs/specialty:
LIMITED INTERACTION: email contact with ConECCTOR members for brief questions
ONGOING MENTORSHIP: Specific details TBD by mentor/mentee (1 hour/month suggested, setting goals/milestones throughout the year)
ONE-TIME INTERACTION: "Speed-mentoring event" at a future conference (in-person/virtual)
When you reach out, please take into account the kind of mentorship you’re both seeking. Once you have established a mutually agreed-upon partnership/mentorship, email [email protected] to let us know to make it official!
Still want to take part but didn’t sign up yet? Please add your info to the following GOOGLE FORMS:
#4: "First Job Negotiations" - Wednesday, September 15, 2021
Our fourth Fellows Network Career Development Webinar revisited this important topic: "First Job Negotiations" from 6:00 to 7:00 PM ET on September 15, 2021
During the webinar, faculty panelists shared their first-hand experiences, followed by live Q&A:
- Anna Parks, MD, University of Utah, Fellows Network Chair Elect
- Cecelia Calhoun, MD, Yale University
- Sherwin DeSouza, MD, Cleveland Clinic Foundation/Taussig Cancer Institute, Fellows Network Council Member
- George Goshua, MD, Yale University, Fellows Network Council Member
- Hana Lim, MD, MS, Weill Cornell Medicine, Fellows Network Council Members
#3: "Negotiating Your First Job" - Tuesday, March 30, 2021
Our third virtual Fellows Network Career Development Webinar took place on Tuesday, March 30, 2021. We combined this Webinar with our virtual spring ConECCTOR Meeting. All Fellows Network and ConECCTOR/Junior Faculty Network members were invited.
During the Webinar, four faculty panelists discussed their perspective on the topic:
- Sven Olson, MD, Assistant Professor of Medicine, Oregon Health & Science University
- Glaivy Batsuli, MD, Assistant Professor, Emory School of Medicine/Aflac Cancer and Blood Disorders Center
- Ang Li, MD, MS, Assistant Professor, Baylor College of Medicine
- Emily Ayers, MD, Assistant Professor, University of Virginia Health
The agenda follows:
4:30 PM ET: Fellows Network Career Development Webinar
5:30 PM ET: Mentor Match Program Networking Opportunity
6:00 PM ET (1.5 hours) - ConECCTOR Meeting
Nigel S. Key, MD: "Managing the K-to-R transition: What to do if you don't get a K-Award"
Robert F. Sidonio, MD: "Oral Presentations 101"
Leslie J. Raffini, MD: "Building a Mentorship Team"
#2: "Mentor/Mentee Relationships & Graceful Self-Promotion" - October 13, 2020
Thanks to all who attended the second in our new HTRS Fellows Network Webinar Series focusing on Career Development, which took place via Zoom on October 13, 2020.
Two faculty panelists discussed their perspective:
- Kristen Sanfilippo, MD, MPHS, Assistant Professor, Internal Medicine/Hematology, Washington University St. Louis
- Ariela Marshall, MD, Associate Professor of Medicine, Division of Hematology, Mayo Clinic
Watch for the next FN Career Development Webinar on Negotiations next January or February 2021. For more info, email [email protected].
#1: "Applying for a Faculty Job" - August 25, 2020
Thanks to all who attended the successful launch of our new HTRS Fellows Network Webinar Series focusing on Career Development, which took place via Zoom on August 25, 2020. Attendees, please watch for a survey to come soon with links to contact info for the presenting faculty.
Four faculty panelists discussed their experiences navigating the process of applying for a faculty job in the last year:
- Jori May, MD, Assistant Professor of Medicine, University of Alabama at Birmingham
- Sven Olson, MD, Assistant Professor of Medicine, Section of Classical Hematology, Oregon Health & Science University
- Michael H. White, MD, MSc, Assistant Professor in Pediatric Hematology/Oncology, Aflac Cancer and Blood Disorders Center, Children’s Healthcare of Atlanta
- Megan Brown MD, MSc, Senior Associate in Pediatric Hematology/Oncology, Aflac Cancer and Blood Disorders Center, Children’s Healthcare of Atlanta
For key tips shared during the Webinar, CLICK HERE
For Fellows Network Chair Jennifer Yui's slide presentation, CLICK HERE
Watch for the next FN Career Development Webinar on Mentor/Mentee Relationships on Tuesday, October 13th at 6:00 PM CT. To register and receive the Zoom link, email [email protected] by Friday, October 9, 2020.
Fellows Network Council
Anna Parks, MD, Chair
University of California, San Francisco
Fellows Network Council Members
Sherwin DeSouza, MD
Cleveland Clinic Foundation, Taussig Cancer Center
Harry Fuentes Bayne, MD
Rudi-Ann Graham, MD
George Goshua, MD
Hana Lim, MD
Weill Cornell Medicine
Jennifer Yui, MD, Immediate Past Chair
University of Pennsylvania