HTRS Mid-Career Research Award
Grant Opportunity: 2019 HTRS MCRA Program
The 2019 HTRS MCRA Program is supported by a grant to HTRS from Genentech.
- Letters of Intent (LOIs) are due Friday, March 22, 2019 by 11:59 PM ET
- Review the 2019 MCRA Request for Proposals (RFP) for eligibility requirements and submission guidelines
- Access the 2019 MCRA Application Form and Project Budget Template here or below
- Questions about the 2019 MCRA should be directed to Lorilyn Jacobsen-Tews in the HTRS Office at [email protected] or by calling (414) 937-6568.
The HTRS Mid-Career Research Award (MCRA) Program provides financial support for mid-career investigators pursuing clinical, translational, or basic science research projects in hemostasis and/or thrombosis. Applicants must be working in the United States or Canada for the duration of the proposed project. The project funded by this program will run for two years: November 2019 - October 2021.
The goals of the MCRA Program are to:
- Advance the science underlying the clinical management of hemostasis and thrombosis by supporting investigator-initiated research to ultimately improve the health and well-being of people living with blood disorders
- Provide financial support for talented mid-career physician-scientists to enable them to transition from mentored research to full research independence
- Combat the shortage of skilled academic researchers in benign hematology by supporting mid-career physician-scientists in the U.S. and Canada at a critical juncture in their academic research careers. Upon the completion of a project funded by the MCRA Program, the recipient should be ready to apply for a large-scale grant to expand their research in hemostasis and/or thrombosis such as an NIH R01, NIH R34, or the equivalent from another agency such as the Canadian Institutes of Health Research (CIHR)
Eligible investigators must be:
- Mid-career physician-scientists (MD, MD/PhD, or DO)
- Mid-career PhD researchers proposing collaborative projects with at least one other eligible mid-career physician-scientist
“Mid-career physician-scientists” are defined by HTRS as being at least eight years (but not more than 15 years) out of fellowship as of the deadline of the Letter of Intent. The typical applicant will be an associate professor or early professor. A mid-career PhD researcher must be at least eight years (but not more than 15 years) out of post-doctoral fellowship as of the deadline of the Letter of Intent, and must be working with at least one other eligible mid-career physician-scientist.
All applicants must be employed at academic research institutions (applicants working for commercial research laboratories are not eligible to apply).
For more information:
Request for Proposals
Note Regarding Using the Application Form:
- The Application Form is a fillable/writable PDF which is handled differently depending on which browser you are using.
- It is best to download/save the blank Application Form to your desktop/computer before completing and saving your entries because with certain browsers, it will not save unless you download it to your own computer first. (In our experience, if using Mozilla Firefox, for example, you will need to click on the small down arrow at the top right of the form (the download arrow) in order to save it to your computer.)
- The Form itself can be slow to open (be patient) and you may have to doubleclick in the blanks to begin keying.
- Please contact HTRS at [email protected] if you have any questions.